Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Hawaii - Activities

Hi Cuties,
Now that the Easter hubbub has died down, wanted to regale you with a few more tales of our trip to Hawaii.   Hawaii.  Yes, it almost seems like a dream now.  Yet, I'll attempt to piece together a few more details of the trip from my decidedly hazy memory.  While in Hawaii, we were very active.  This was probably because we were traveling with my parents and they did grown up things like renting a car, buying a travel guide ahead of time and planning activities.  I'll cover the highlights in this post and then I promise you, Hawaii is almost done.


1. Luau
On Tuesday night, we attended the Feast at Lele in Lahaina.  We chose this luau because it was the most expensive so obviously the best (that's how that works, right?)  and advertised itself with hooks like "top-shelf liquor," and "no kids."  It was a good choice, because we loved loved loved this luau.  It was set right on the beach on the brink of the sunset and the whole thing was really well organized and fun.  Finally, I was greeted with my fresh, fragrant lei and, even better, a mai tai!  Everyone at this luau sat at individual tables instead of the long communal tables utilized in many luaus.  As I have a strong aversion to communal dining and small talk with strangers (I'm just lovely, I know) this was the perfect setup.  We were treated to a four course meal featuring various Island cuisines and each course was accompanied by the hula dancing traditional to that island.  The dancers were awesome to look at and the food was so great.  It was really the perfect night.


me before the luau








2. Mama's
Mama's is one of the most famous restaurants on Maui and we went there for dinner on Wednesday night. Somehow we managed to score a great table right on the beach.  Again, great food, especially for seafood lovers (the mister is not a seafood lover but even he loved it).
The parents, exhausted from a day of planning ahead, yet hopeful for a fun night to come


3. Road to Hana
The road to Hana.  First, as we learned in the guidebook, it is about the journey.  Apparently, if you actually make it to Hana, which we did not, you're all like, "wait this is it?  shiitt, this place looks like nothing."  The road to Hana is a very, very curvy road and is a super popular tourist destination.  There are tons of hidden waterfalls and mini adventures right off the road if you know where to look.  Basically, you research ahead of time or get some sort of book (we used Maui Revealed) and then pull off the road based on certain mile markers and landmarks.  If you miss a pull-off it's not really easy to turn around, so after missing the first two, I was concerned that we would make it to "nothing-special" Hana sooner than planned.  We did finally see some success though - with a little bit of hiking, little bit of swimming in the pool of a waterfall, little bit of highway-side jewelry shopping (people who don't find a way to shop every day really aren't trying hard enough.)


We watched some local teenagers take turns making death-defying jumps from the side of the bridge 




4. Magic Show
We rushed back from the Road to Hana to be on time for the grand finale of this leg of the trip, a magic show at a nearby hotel.  Whoo hoo,  I know.  What we didn't realize is that my stepmom had payed extra (who does this!?)  so that we would all be featured in the show.  By "we," I mean me, my dad, and Erik.  Mags magically managed to avoid being pulled up on stage.  How did she ever do it?  I'll say this and leave it at that - if you go to Maui, I'd recommend checking out the show.  It's something else.  After the show, we met up with some friends who happened to be in Maui at the same time as us.  They also happen to live in Australia so it was quite funny that we were in Hawaii at the same time.  How fun is that?
Dad hamming it up for the audience
C making magic
Mister making magic, or something
Relaxing with my pineapple drink after the show


Just one more Hawaii post after this, and then I promise, I'm done!  I barely remember it anyway.

xo,
C





No comments:

Post a Comment